WMI Error (code 1927)
A virtual machine backup plan fails with the following error: WMI Error. WMI query could not be completed. Reason: An unexpected error occurred! Module = vcpSysInv Function = GetNICInfo: [###-HOSTNAME] Source = SWbemServicesEx Error = Provider load failure (-2147217389:0:1000440)
The reason above is given as an example and can be different in other cases
In most cases, the occurrence of this error means that the WMI service on the target computer (local or remote) cannot load one of the required WMI components to complete the inventory collection request.
Rebuild the WMI repository on the target machine. To to this, proceed as follows:
- Run the following commands in an Administrative Command Prompt on the target machine:
For Windows XP and Windows 2000 Server:
- winmgmt /clearadap
- winmgmt /kill
- winmgmt /unregserver
- winmgmt /regserver
- winmgmt /resyncperf
For Windows 2003 Server:
- wmiadap.exe /c
- wmiadap.exe /f
- lodctr /R
For Windows 7 and Windows 2008 Server:
- winmgmt /salvagerepository
To perform a rebuild of the WMI repository, proceed as follows:
- Disable and stop the winmgmt service.
- Remove or rename C:\Windows\System32\wbem\repository.
- Enable and start the winmgmt service.
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Run the following commands:
- cd C:\Windows\System32\wbem\
- for /f %s in ('dir /b *.mof') do mofcomp %s
- for /f %s in ('dir /b en-us*.mfl') do mofcomp en-us%s
- Open Performance Monitor to verify that all counters can be loaded.
For Windows 10
To perform a repair/re-sync of the Windows 10 WMI repository, proceed as follows:
- Open an elevated command prompt.
- Verify the WMI repository is not corrupt by running the following command: winmgmt /verifyrepository. If the repository is not corrupted, a WMI Repository is consistent message will be returned. If you get something else, go to the next step.
- Run the following commands to repair WMI: winmgmt /salvagerepository If the repository salvage fails to work, then run the following command to see if it resolves the issue: winmgmt /resetrepository
- After the winmgmt /resetrepository command is executed, a WMI Repository has been reset message should appear: the command was successful.