Error: "The file cannot be accessed by the system"
The error message "The file cannot be accessed by the system" during backup of the user profile folder.
The cause is the WindowsApps folder. This folder is a location for installed Windows desktop applications. It was introduced with Windows 8 and is used as a location for installed Windows Store apps. Read/Write permissions are limited by operation system.
Suggestions and Resolution
Exclude folders manually
The only way to solve the issue is to exclude these folders from the backup plan.
- Open MBS portal and navigate to backup plan.
- Click Edit button for failing backup plan.
- Expand "Backup Source" section and click "Show Plain Text" link. Insert the following folders in the "Exclude Paths" field.
- Save backup plan changes.
- Run backup plan as usual.
Exclude folders with the script
If the backup environment is huge and required too much manual work, use the script to add exclusions.
- Download the script.
- Run the script on required machines via RMM or GPO.
Exclusions will be added automatically to all file-level backup plans.
Tech questions: email@example.com
Sales questions: firstname.lastname@example.org