Restoring Image-based backup to Amazon EC2
We use AWS VMimport service to import computer images to AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
- First generation (MBR) VMs are fully supported
- Second generation VMs (UEFI/GPT) are supported after conversion.
- Server OS's are fully supported when restoring to EC2. Desktop OS's could be restored as AMI only. Read more
- Max number of volumes cannot exceed 22.
- Disk size is limited to 2TiB. This article mentiones 1TB, but the limit has been shifted since then.)
- IPv6 is not supported.
- Restore time heavily depends on the instance type (especially what size has the temporary instance if it's used).
- Refer to this article for other AWS-side limitations.
- Ensure that your VM is compatible with EC2. Check here for details.
- Create the VMimport role in your AWS account.
Changes applied to a machine that is being restored as EC2/AMI
- RDP is enabled.
- DHCP is enabled.
- Firewall is configured to bypass Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) on port 3389.
Tech questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales questions: email@example.com