Restoring Image-based Backup to Amazon EC2
AWS VMimport service is used to import computer images to AWS Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
- First generation (MBR) VMs are fully supported.
- Second generation VMs (UEFI/GPT) are supported after conversion.
- Server OS's are fully supported when restoring to EC2. Desktop OS's could be restored as AMI only. Read more.
- Max number of volumes is 22.
- Disk size is limited to 2TiB. This article mentions 1TB, but the limit has been shifted since then).
- IPv6 is not supported.
- Restore time heavily depends on the instance type (especially what size has the temporary instance if it's used).
- Refer to this article for other AWS-side limitations.
- Ensure that your VM is compatible with EC2. Check here for details.
- Create the VMimport role in your AWS account.
Note that the following connections (IP addresses and ports) associated with the mspbackups.com portal must be allowed:
Changes Applied to a Machine that is Being Restored as EC2/AMI
- RDP is enabled.
- DHCP is enabled.
- Firewall is configured to bypass Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) on port 3389.
Tech questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales questions: email@example.com