Client-side Deduplication Instead of Server-side Deduplication (Dedup Server)
In order of perfection works on backup efficiency issues, the approaches undergo several changes.
Research results have proven that most of customers manage users having multiple sites. And this is what we've come across:
- Once the Dedup server is in use, a separate server has to be provisioned, be up and running 24/7
- Computers have to send full backups to Dedup server for better deduplication
- Most of computers start a backup routine at the same time and Dedup server has to have a sufficient local storage capacity storing all full backups from all machines
- The Dedup server requires an SSL certificate for configuring and secure data transfers
- The Dedup server is a potential single point of failure
- Having in mind costs of having a powerful publicly-available server up and running 24/7 (#1) with large local storage capacity (#2) leads to expense increase that could be higher than storage savings on a Dedup server basis.
Basing on these outcomes, the current approach implies moving to a client-side deduplication Backup Agent software.
Contact the technical support team with your inquirires: you can contact us by creating a Support Portal ticket at support.msp360.com portal