Backup VM Edition Licensing Policy Explained (VMware / ESXi)
MSP360 Backup VM edition is designed to create, compress, encrypt, and upload virtual machines backups to the cloud. The backup software connects directly to your cloud storage account and securely transfers backups to the cloud storage of your choice.
To use Backup VM edition, you need to purchase a separate license or set of licenses, depending on your vCenter capacities and backup goals.
How It Works
Virtual Environments in the Same Local Network
For virtual environments located in the same local network, you need 1 VM edition license and required number of additional socket licenses.
- Your vCenter is located in the same local network and contains 7 ESXi servers that are running in total on 16 sockets. Then, you need the following set of licenses:
- 1 VM edition license and 14 additional socket licenses.
Virtual Environments in Different Local Networks
In case your virtual environment is located in the different networks, the standard VM Edition license covers one ESXi server and 2 sockets. If your ESXi server contains more sockets, you need an additional socket license to cover the host.
- Your vCenter contains 1 ESXi server which is run on 4 sockets. Then, you need the following set of licenses: 1 VM edition license and 2 additional socket licenses.
- Your vCenter contains 4 ESXi servers. Two servers are run on 4 sockets, and two other servers are run on 8 sockets. Then, you need the following set of licenses:
- for two ESXi servers running on 4 sockets: 2 VM edition licenses and 4 additional socket licenses
- for two ESXi servers running on 8 sockets: 2 VM edition licenses and 12 additional socket licenses.
In total, to cover this virtual solution, you need 4 VM edition licenses and 16 additional socket licenses.
To purchase Backup VM edition and additional socket licenses, visit the Products Licensing and Pricing page of MSP360™ website.
To purchase Backup VM edition and additional socket licenses for Managed Backup Service, refer to the Licenses section of the help documentation.