Shadow Copy Provider Error: The System Cannot Find The File Specified (code 2400)
Applies to: Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2
A backup plan terminates with the following error: VSS Error: Shadow Copy Provider Error: The System Cannot Find The File Specified
The event log contains the following ID: 11.
This error may occur if the ServiceDll registry value for Swprv is missing or incorrect.
Note that in some cases several VSS errors can occur at the same time, and the recommendations described below may not be helpful
Follow these best-practice recommendations from Microsoft.
Note that the procedures above can be changed by Microsoft. Use the link below to ensure the recommendations are up to date
Refer to the Information about Event ID 11 chapter at docs.microsoft.com
Before editing the registry, back it up to avoid possible issues. To do this, proceed as follows:
- From the Start menu, type regedit.exe in the search box, and then press Enter.
- If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- In Registry Editor, locate and click the registry key or subkey that you want to back up.
- Click File > Export.
- In the Export Registry File dialog box, select the location to which you want to save the backup copy, and then type a name for the backup file in the File name field.
- Click Save.
Once the registry is backed up, proceed to the solution:
- Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, press Enter.
- Locate and then click the following registry key:
If the Parameters registry key is missing, perform the following steps: right-click the swprv registry key, select New, select Key, type Parameters and press Enter
- Once the Parameters registry key is selected, verify that the ServiceDll registry value has the following value:
If the ServiceDll registry value is missing, perform the following steps:
- Right-click the Parameters registry key, select New, then select Expandable String Value
- For the value name, type ServiceDll and press Enter
- Double-click the ServiceDll registry value
- In the Value Data box, type %Systemroot%\System32\swprv.dll, then click OK.
- Once you are done, run the backup plan again and make sure that the issue is solved.
To learn more about this error, refer to the Backup fails with VSS event ID 12292 and 11 on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 article at docs.microsoft.com